Encouraging results from recent Pew polls:
- Only 1 in 4 Americans say they trust the federal government all or most of the time. Even among Democrats a majority trust the government only some of the time or never.
- A majority of Americans also say the federal government is a threat to their personal rights and freedoms.
- One-quarter are angry at the federal government and another half are frustrated.
- Barely a quarter (28%) of Americans have a favorable view of the federal government.
- People have a much more favorable view of local (63%) and state (57%) governments.
- A whopping 69% said the federal government should only run things that cannot be done at the local level.
- By a margin of 56-35 the public overall favors smaller government providing fewer services than a bigger government providing more services.
- A large majority agree that government regulation of business does more harm than good.
These polls show that voters by and large agree with us. Our problem is that too many national Republicans have destroyed our brand. Those are the Republican “leaders” who are okay with big government as long as they are the ones running it. The grassroots and growing numbers of upper-level real leaders want to shrink the size and power of the federal government, have it run only those things that cannot be done at the local level, and transfer power from the untrustworthy federal government to the more trusted state and local levels.
Republicans have done a terrible job in letting people know that we strongly agree with them.