Why are Democrats against opening the National Parks? Why are Democrats against Women, Infants, and Children? Why are they against cancer research? Those are just some of the bills that House Democrats voted against in the last week.
House Republicans have passed 11 (so far) bills to open parts of government. Most Democrats voted against them. Democrat Harry Reid is blocking all of them from a vote in the Senate.
- allows our nation’s capital to continue operating using its own funding.
- opens all of our national parks and museums, including the WWII Memorial.
- funds the National Institute of Health, which is responsible for lifesaving medical innovations and cancer research.
- ensures the government shutdown doesn’t affect pay for our National Guard and Reserve.
- provides immediate funding for critical veterans benefits and services.
- provides immediate funding for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
- provides immediate funding for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children.
- provides immediate funding for the Food and Drug Administration.
- providing critical education funding to support Head Start programs.
- provides immediate funding for the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
- ensures that death benefits to families of fallen troops will continue to be disbursed.
All of these programs could be open tomorrow, many could have been opened last week if Democrats were willing to start ending the shutdown. It seems they would rather have the shutdown as a political issue.
UPDATE: October 9, added bills #10 and #11.