Hugh Hewitt has a good article on Common Core based on conversations with proponents and opponents. His first point is that it is a “well-intended effort”, hence the title of this post. Other points:
- Common Core is perceived as a dumbed-down “ceiling” by some, an ideological imposition of federal standards by others, and an ideological exercise by many.
- Political momentum against the Common Core is large and growing
- The overreach of the Obama Administration is greatly resented
- the collection of [student] data which could possibly be misused by government in the future … is hitting at exactly the wrong time
- There is very little upside and enormous downside for center-right politicians to be pro-Common Core.
- There is very little political upside for Common Core as teachers’ union are at best ambivalent about it.
- Local school board members and administrators should be prepared to pause and listen to criticism as the anti-Core movement spreads